While on my mission I can be contacted at ashley.lynch@myldsmail.net

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 3, 2018

Look To Christ and Live

What a week! Here are some highlights:
I finished reading the Book of Mormon again! What was even more fun is that Sister Tobler and I finished on the same day :) I cannot tell you how much I have learned from this book. This time through I learned a lot about how to receive answers to prayers. It has shown me so much about faith, God's plan for me, His commandments. Most importantly it has pointed me continuously to Jesus Christ. Through it I have developed a stronger testimony of who He is and why I need Him so desperately in my life. And through consistent study I am grateful to know that testimony will never stop growing.
 
 

Other exciting news, my friend James got baptized! I first met her in band and she is just so great! She is one of the most caring people I have ever met. Well, while I was still at home I found out she was meeting with missionaries! She was actually preparing for baptism, but the timing wasn't right. A few months ago I felt prompted to reach out to her and discovered she was still meeting with missionaries! She attended church regularly, read the Book of Mormon often. Her testimony had grown immensely, and even though I only had the opportunity to chat with her through Facebook I could tell that she was filled with such a different light than she had been before. This Saturday she made the step of being baptized! I could not be happier and I am so proud of her!

Another highlight of my week was that on Monday I got to go on exchanges with the amazing Sister Clark! Boy have I missed her sweet spirit. It was an honor to be able to serve with her in Lancaster again for the day :) One of the biggest miracles we saw was Amy. Sherry Price, who was baptized recently, had invited her Sister-in-law Amy to attend. By attending that baptism Amy realized that this gospel is what she has been looking for and what has been missing in her life. She is absolutely amazing and so dedicated and excited to learn all she can about Christ's restored gospel. Elder and Sister Thompson have been working closely with her, and Sister Clark and I had the wonderful opportunity to help her accept a baptismal date! She is so prepared and I know this is going to change her life!
Baptism is such a special and exciting thing that helps us to look to our Savior Jesus Christ!
 

 

There have been many miracles that have happened this week, but it has honestly been a crazy one! I feel like we were constantly running all over the place, trying our best to help people, and still never feeling like anything would go according to plan. BUT this week was a great reminder to me that it's not my plans that matter, but it's God's plans that will really make the difference. There were countless times this week that I was stressed feeling like nothing was working out or that I was not being successful. But then right after those moments, or sometimes even during, we would experience some huge miracle like finding three new investigators in half an hour or because we were running later than planned we would pull up at just the right moment to see an investigator we really needed to get in contact with who got home at that exact moment. It is moments like those that confirm to me that I am exactly where God needs me, doing exactly what He hopes I will be doing. 

Sometimes though that confirmation would not come. There were moments that I felt like I was supposed to be somewhere else, doing some other thing, or that no matter how hard I try I can't possibly do the task the Lord has given me. Those moments are really hard, when I know I could be more successful. What do we do then? Well, we learn from our mistakes and keep on trying. This week I have been studying my favorite talk from this most recent General Conference titled "Until Seventy Times Seven" by Elder Lynn G. Robbins. There is a question he poses very early in his message that really related to how I have been feeling lately. He says, "We may wonder—if both Nephi and Moses were on the Lord’s errand, why didn’t the Lord intervene and help them achieve success on their first try? Why did He allow them—and why does He allow us—to flounder and fail in our attempts to succeed?" I have been wondering that same thing, if I am on the Lord's errand and doing His work, why does it seem like everything is against me or that I can't accomplish this work? Elder Robbins made another point that helped answer my question. He teaches us about the necessity of having real intent as we use the Atonement of Jesus Christ to become what He wants us to be. He says that when we do this we change. "That kind of change results in spiritual growth. Our success, then, isn’t going from failure to failure, but growing from failure to failure without any loss of enthusiasm."

This life isn't about being perfect. That is what we are all striving for, but we will never get there in this life. And we certainly won't get there very quickly if everything is handed to us. That is why, even when we are doing the work of the Lord, it requires great effort and sometimes what even appears to be failure, otherwise there would be no growth. We are successful simply by getting up after we fall. Each failure or hardship that we experience, if we rely on Jesus Christ to give us the strength to rise from it, will be an opportunity to grow one step closer to success. I urge you all to focus on Jesus Christ in your daily lives. As you do so, you will gain the perspective you need to never lose enthusiasm as you are given the experiences necessary to grow spiritually in the ups and downs in life's journey.

Look to Christ and remember, just keep smiling!