While on my mission I can be contacted at ashley.lynch@myldsmail.net

Search This Blog

Monday, May 1, 2017

In His Strength I Can Do All Things

We had interviews this week! I love interviews with President and Sister Daines, although this one was a little intimidating because we would be teaching them the first lesson. It wasn't that bad though and interviews were just as wonderful and packed with learning. We talked a lot about fortifying ourselves and how important it is to build up that protection in the good times when it doesn't seem like Satan is fighting us as hard. That was such an interesting thing to discuss after my realization last week that it is just going to be a continual cycle of pushing through the battles just to reach another one. Satan knows us and knows where our shortcomings and weaknesses are, and that is where he will go for first. I would encourage everyone to really look at yourself and if you don't know where he hits you to find out so you can start fortifying yourself now, even if it may seem like a time of peace. 

President Daines left me with a commitment like he usually does, and it was that by next interviews I will be able to say I am equal with my companion in opening my mouth. This week as I have been working on that the changes have been incredible in just this short time. Sister Speakman and I have become more unified, I am following the spirit more, and our teaching is much more powerful. I am very excited for the progress yet to come so I can keep that commitment.

So I told you last time about the Little girl we met who wanted to learn more about Jesus. Well her name is Alexis and she is the sweetest thing. We were a little late for our appointment earlier this week and apparently she was very disappointed because she thought we weren't coming. But when she answered the door she was basically jumping up and down. I had never taught anyone that young before so it was definitely an educational experience on how to teach simply. I am so thrilled by how excited she is about everything and so happy that we are helping her build that foundation in Christ at such a young age. I was so blessed to have that growing up, and that's really the reason I came on a mission. So knowing I am helping others have that same opportunity makes me so happy.

Rick came to church! I don't remember how much I told you about his situation, but he was on date for baptism and working through some things but a few weeks ago told us he wanted a break from meeting with us and everything. We keep in contact with him every once in a while just to see how he was doing and the other day I don't even remember what I said, the spirit had definitely taken over at that point, but before we knew it he said, "you know, you're right. I'll see you at church Sunday." And we did! I hope this is a step in the direction of us being able to meet with him again and help him continue to work towards baptism.

With the experiences I have been having and struggles I have been facing lately, my mind keeps going back to my favorite scripture in the Book of Mormon, Alma 26:11-12
      11 But Ammon said unto him: I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God.
      12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.

We can have so much joy in our lives when we realize that we truly cannot do anything on our own. When we humble ourselves enough to rely on the Lord we will be granted the strength to do all things. As I am learning how to more fully rely on the Lord I have been able to do things I know I otherwise would not be capable of. I find so much comfort in knowing I don't have to worry about anything because I will always have the support of He who is capable of all things.

I love you all. And remember, just keep smiling!