While on my mission I can be contacted at ashley.lynch@myldsmail.net

Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

A Little More of Something

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! I  hope your week has been wonderful because mine has been! Something super cool that happened this week was that Sister Garza and I invited our investigator to be baptized and it went so well! We are so grateful that we were open to the spirit to have the strength and confidence to do that and know what she needed. Having the companionship of the spirit is such an amazing thing!

I don't know if I've told you all, but exercise time is the greatest thing ever. It is so wonderful to have that break and remember that we are all just normal people who like to have fun. That time of the day is a blessing we eagerly look forward to. Also, I'm totally killing it in basketball. Everyone is always surprised by my capabilities, including myself ha ha.

New missionaries came in Wednesday and more are coming tomorrow! It's crazy to think that my time here is almost over. I've loved every minute here, but the closer it gets to my time to go the more excited I get. I can't wait to get out there and do some work in the real world.

Brother Anderson, one of our amazing teachers, said something that has really been hitting home as I go throughout my week. I hope it will be as inspiring to someone reading this as it has been for me
         "Courage is never letting your actions be influenced by your fears."
Sometimes life and our very real fears make it hard to do what we know is right or to act on the feelings or promptings we receive. I know that if we have the faith to look our fears in the face and move past them we can accomplish anything.

Something very amazing happened this week. Have I told you how much I love our Elders? Well, sweet Elder Flores had a bit of a hard time preparing for his mission financially. He has a lot of things that are necessary, but there are a lot of other things he has less of or had to go without entirely. Seeing this need, the Elders from our district and the one ahead of us all chipped in and got him his own set of scriptures with his name printed on them. He just about cried and so did everyone else. What he didn't know was that waiting for him in their residence was a suitcase that they filled with other things no missionary should have to go without. They got him a nice satchel, ties, more shirts, exercise shoes (since he had been borrowing an extra pair of sister Garza's) and many other things. I am so grateful to be surrounded by such loving, selfless people who care so much for each other.

This week we were assigned two more investigators to work with and we got to teach both of them yesterday! One of them is named Hely and she is probably the most amazing person I ever met. She is from Guatemala and has had an incredibly hard life. Growing up during a civil war made her childhood very different from others and put her family through great hardships. Despite everything she experienced she never lost her faith. She relied on God in times when most people would be to hurt to turn to Him. She is inspiring to me and I cannot wait to meet with her again tomorrow!

Yesterday morning our whole district was extra tired for some reason. Our teacher, Brother Anderson, just looks at all of us. He finally stretched His arms out wide, and with his big cheesy grin, shouts "Welcome to the mission!!!" I know I am going to be tired every day, and I know I haven't felt anything yet. I know that no matter how tired we all are the Lord will be on our side to help us push through because I'm sure He doesn't want a bunch of zombies doing His work haha.

The district ahead of us slipped out in the wee hours of the morning and are headed to their various missions. It's crazy to think that in about a week I'll be doing to same thing. Including the crazy early hours. We got our travel plans last week so that makes everything even more real. I am loving the MTC, but I'm not really sad about my time flying by. I am so ready to get out there. 

I wanted to leave you all with one thought from President Gordon B. Hinckley. "We must be a little better, a little kinder, a little more generous, a little more courteous, a little more thoughtful,  a little more outreaching to others." I  know that as we do these things we will become closer to Christ and more like Him which is our whole purpose in this life. If we were all a little more of something each day the world would be an amazing place. 

I love you all! Until next week!




Welcome to the mission


"That's my companion!"

My District

Travel information


Our zone