While on my mission I can be contacted at ashley.lynch@myldsmail.net

Search This Blog

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Achieving Change

This week has been a blast! We have seen miracles like always and our days have been filled with fun Christmas things!


One of the biggest miracles this week has been teaching Jose. A few months ago we had met a man and could never get in contact with him, but we kept meeting Jose who he lives at the same address. He didn't seem too interested but we shared some with him and gave him a card with our phone number and church information. Well, after one of the nights that we saw him again he texted us. He said that he felt bad that we kept coming by in the rain or the cold and that he has never been able to invite us in, but since we have been so diligent he wanted to listen to what we have to say. So we set up a lesson and have had a few since then and he has attended a baptism with us! His English isn't 100% but he is understanding what we teach. He is a super awesome guy and very in tune with his spirituality, and the gospel is going to change his life! 

Like I said, this week has been full of fun Christmas things, like more opportunities to do service, and Christmas programs. I am so glad that even though I am not at home, I still get to do the fun Christmas things like setting up the tree and decorating. 
 
 
On Saturday we had our Christmas zone conference which was a blast! We got to so some service and fun activities. It was fun getting to be with my mission family as well as see my friends and ward members from my previous area who were helping out with the program :) Before dinner there was an adorable program of the nativity put on by some primary age children. It was so special. Something that stuck out to me today was President Russell from our mission presidency talking about the Celestial Joy we will feel every time we see the people we have served with, the same kind of joy that we will experience when we are reunited with our brothers and sisters after this life. Seeing those wonderful ward members today, people I have worked with, getting to spend the day with the Stratfords and the rest of my mission family brought me so much joy. And I am so grateful that God lets us feel that kind of love, and I know it has developed through rendering service and laboring in this great cause. 
 
 

I got to feel a lot of that Celestial joy on Sunday when we participated in a missionary choir for a Christmas devotional that all of my companions still currently serving participated in as well! It was amazing seeing all of them and I didn't know my heart could hold so much. You develop such a special bond with those you serve along side and when you are reunited it just fills you up. Seeing Sister Hall and Sister Speakman, the two incredible missionaries who trained me reminded me of all the experiences I had early in my mission. It made me realize just how long ago that time was, how far I have come. I am happy to say I am a completely different person and still changing. It struck me that changing in such a drastic way not only constitutes success on my mission, but our success in life. God's whole purpose in giving us this life is so we could gain experience, grow, change, and learn how to be more like Jesus Christ and the person he intends for us to be so we can achieve that joy God has in store for us. Our whole task in life is to follow Christ's example and the path our Father has laid our for us, and to let Him shape us and use us how He will. I am grateful for my mission, that it is showing me what it means to be a disciple of Christ, that it has put me in a position to be changed so drastically by The Master. 

These are Christ's own words found in John 5:30 and a statement we should all strive to echo in our own lives,
"I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me."
Seeking His will over our own is how we will achieve this change.

I would encourage you to ponder on what you can do to more fully follow Jesus Christ, and in turn be changed into who the Father meant you to be.

I hope you all have a wonderful week and a Merry Christmas! Just keep smiling!