While on my mission I can be contacted at ashley.lynch@myldsmail.net

Search This Blog

Monday, April 10, 2017

Jesus and I Are Tight

Well, as I said in my last post, Sister Hall was transferred. That was definitely a shock for us, and for all our investigators who are taking it pretty hard. I took it pretty hard at first too, but I know what the Lord has in store for us is always better than our plan. My new companion is Sister Speakman and she is wonderful! I don't think you will meet anyone more focused on our purpose and I love it. I have a lot to learn from her and the wonderful example she sets, I will definitely not be the same person a the end of our time being companions. I am so excited for this transfer ahead of us and for everything we have already been able to accomplish!

Hilliard is doing phenomenal, like I honestly cannot believe it. We are meeting so many new people, which has a lot to do with the weather. This means I have also had to talk to a lot of new, random people which is still very uncomfortable, but gets easier everyday. Sister Speakman is absolutely fearless and is just so sweet, I can't help but try to do the things that scare me with her there. 

It has been fun getting to show Sister Speakman where everything is and getting to introduce her to all out amazing investigators. Thank goodness I learned a lot from Sister Hall or this would be a lot scarier haha. It has been fun too getting to teach all the cool people Sister Hall and I had found recently. There is a lady named Carrie who is very active in her church and at the end of our first lesson with her we asked if she would be baptized when the Lord answers her prayers about the truthfulness of our message. Her response was definitely not what I was expecting. She said, "You know, I have been thinking about that. I am pretty upset that I would have to leave my church if I did find out this was true, but the truth is more important right?" She doesn't know it yet, but she is totally getting baptized very soon. And Mike is this sweet guy who has so many wonderful questions. He has such a genuine desire to learn and accepted our invitation to be baptized next month! He has a long way to go, but it is wonderful what can be accomplished with the Lord's help and a goal to shoot for.

We have been biking a ton lately, probably more than I ever have while I have been here. It's really fun when you are riding along a scary road and some members of our ward drive by and cheer you on. I love when people love us! And biking is honestly how we have been able to meet so many people out an about lately. There was this lady the other day who we were trying to talk to, but she was in a rush and just really did not want to talk to us. She stopped just before she ran in her house and said, "You know, Jesus and I are tight" and closed her door (definitely the quote of the week). A few minutes later she runs back out of her house, apologizes for not making time for the Lord's work, and asks if she could pray with us. So we stopped right there on the sidewalk and prayed together. How crazy is that?! And I had someone yell at me and slam the door in my face for the first time this week, it was awesome.

We just keep pushing on and I am loving life. I love being a missionary! Something I have been thinking a lot about lately comes from the Book of Mormon. 
Ether 12:27
"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."
There are a lot of things about life that are hard, and sometimes we feel that what is required of us is so much bigger than ourselves. Honestly, it is probably true. The Lord gives us these challenges so that we will remember to be humble, and if we choose to rely on Him through those times we will be blessed. There are so many times throughout my day where I remember that the work I am doing is so much bigger than myself and I am merely an instrument in the Lord's hand. I can only be successful if I rely on Him and I can see how much I am being strengthened and growing in the process.
I love you all, just keep smiling!
Sister Speakman and I
Grocery Shopping!