While on my mission I can be contacted at ashley.lynch@myldsmail.net

Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Joy and Consolation

What a crazy awesome week!!! We met a man who said he did his genealogy work and that he is related to Jesus, he also said he has died 10 times (we take everything people tell us with a grain of salt haha). We got to pass out flyers to businesses for a live nativity going on, which was a lot of fun because people were actually excited to talk to us. Wrapped some Christmas presents! We were also hugged by some guy on his porch without our consent, and gave someone a heart attack (with cut out hearts of course).
 
Wrapping Presents

Heart Attack
We met lots of cool people this week, Sister Holdaway is super in tune and always puts just the right streets in our plans and feels like we need to knock on the doors with the coolest people behind them. We had the most powerful Sacrament meeting Sunday, there were 5 members of the congregation who gave short talks on their favorite hymns and then we had the opportunity to sing it. There is so much power in those inspired songs. We also were able to attend a few baptisms! It was wonderful! 

We also had a fantastic Thanksgiving! We were able to spend it with a few families in our ward who we love dearly. It definitely made it feel like home which I was grateful for.
 
Happy Thanksgiving
On top of the collection I gave you at the beginning, there were a few particular highlights of my week that I wanted to tell you about.
First of all, the other day in a lesson with Grahm (who will be baptized next week!) we were talking about service and missionary work and a whole bunch of things. At one point Grahm said, "On my mission..." I honestly can't remember the rest because I was just too excited by the fact that he has a desire to serve a mission! It made me so happy to think that because Grahm is truly converted to the gospel and has his own testimony that he is working hard to build, he is going to go on to affect so many people and be able to share the thing that has blessed his life. I can't help but think about how the missionaries who taught my mom would feel to know that her daughter is now on a mission. They affected more lives than they could possibly realize because of their service, and the effects will keep on going!

Another highlight of my week happened today when Damian, who got baptized last month, was able to go to the temple to do baptisms for his family members who have passed on. It was a beautiful experience and I am grateful that we were able to attend with him. It is moments like those that I will treasure forever. 
 
 

I love being a missionary! I love meeting people, teaching them about the restored truths of the gospel, serving people. Above everything though, what brings me the greatest joy is seeing how the gospel changes lives when people are truly converted and apply it in their lives. I love seeing the excitement Grahm has to share the gospel, and that Damian was so excited to help his ancestors have the blessings of the gospel when they didn't have the chance in this life. It is a blessing to meet such people, who recognize the value of their newly found treasure and use it! The gospel is only worth something when we use it and apply it in our lives, when we let it change us into something better. I love this scripture in the Book of Mormon that helps us know what we must do for this change to happen.

Helaman 3:35 
"Nevertheless they did fast and pray oft, and did wax stronger and stronger in their humility, and firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ, unto the filling their souls with joy and consolation, yea, even to the purifying and the sanctification of their hearts, which sanctification cometh because of their yielding their hearts unto God."

May we all do what is required to find this joy and consolation. 
Just keep smiling!