While on my mission I can be contacted at ashley.lynch@myldsmail.net

Search This Blog

Monday, March 6, 2017

Think Less, Listen More


 This week has been really great and I have learned a lot about the importance of goals and self evaluation. If you don't have a goal to shoot for or don't know what you want to improve, who knows where you'll end up. One of my goals is to lead a certain number of street contacts a day and that has been a challenge. It is honestly so frustrating because I am confident in what I know I just can't get it out of my mouth, but I am grateful Sister Hall just throws me out there sometimes and gives me the push I need. She reminds me all the time that the less I think about it and the more I just open my mouth and have faith, the easier it will be. And I know how right she is, but I definitely understand how hard it can be sometimes to just take that leap of faith. As I follow her counsel and trust the guidance of the spirit I am seeing improvements, as small as they may be, but I am excited for the weeks to come.

I actually had a really cool experience earlier this week because I had the faith to trust those promptings. As we were making plans for the day I had a feeling we really needed to go see a lady named Amy that I was reading about, so I kind of skipped over the part in her background that said she wanted nothing to do with us. Later in the day when we were about to go visit her, Sister Hall read that description and asked me if I was sure we wanted to visit her and I timidly said yes. She jokingly said, "Ok, but it's your fault if we get yelled at." So we rode our bikes to her home and knocked on the door. I was so nervous at this point. But she opened the door and came outside to talk to us. She told us about how missionaries had visited her before and how she hadn't even picked up the Book of Mormon she was given for over a year, until three days earlier when she decided to read it! She wanted to meet with us, but said this was her parent's home and it was funny we even caught her there. We were able to refer her to other missionaries in our area who met with her and she now has a date set to be baptized next month! It is amazing how the Lord is preparing people and what we are capable of when we rely on Him and trust the promptings He gives us. 

Talking to strangers isn't fun for me yet (Yet is the key word, we will get there), but I absolutely love lessons with our investigators! I love the opportunity to meet as friends and share my testimony and how the gospel has blessed my life. As we taught Rick about eternal marriage this week it was such an amazing thing to be able to tell him about my own family and how much I love knowing we have the opportunity to be together forever because of temples. That is honestly one of my favorite things to talk about and it was awesome to hear from him the joy he sees it give me. You want to hear something crazy, we finished teaching Rick all of the lessons! He has a desire to be baptized and believes everything we are teaching and he never misses a Sunday at church, so we are helping him make a plan to help him get to baptism. 

We got the car this week! I definitely appreciate it, but Sister Hall thinks I'm a little strange for missing the bikes. It's really fun though. It is really nice being able to reach more places that we normally can't on bikes. Having the car also means that I am the designated backer. That means that even though it may be windy, or snowing (both things I experienced this week), I stand behind the car and let her know it is safe to back. I even tripped over a curb walking backwards which we both thought was pretty funny, and probably whoever else saw me. Backing is definitely one of my favorite hobbies now. 

So many great things happened this week, but the most amazing thing was that our investigator Steven was baptized this Saturday and was able to be confirmed and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost on Sunday. He is just so happy and I am so excited for him and the things to come in his future because of this wonderful decision he has made. We start teaching him the new member lessons tonight and I cannot wait! I love meeting with Steven because honestly, I don't do much. He is just so ready and willing to learn it's really just him soaking up the spirit. I learn more from him and his testimony than he ever could from me.

I hope you are all doing wonderful! I am loving life and I love being a missionary!


Sister Daines, President Daines, Steven, me, Sister Hall
Steven's baptism


Our Zone
We have the car